I LOVE my sleep. I could sleep 16 hours a day if I didn’t have responsibilities. The only thing that is even allowed between me and my sleep is the baby ( and of course, the other children when they need me) at night. He still depends on the comfort I give hm.
As entrepreneurs, we are driven to success on our own terms and that can mean sleepless nights and tons of coffee. Reminds me of the nights leading up to college exams. Small spurts of sleeplessness won’t affect our performance in the long run. However, most Americans are not getting the sleep they need and are on autopilot. That means not performing normally, never mind the creativity and push you need to work as an entrepreneur! Your brain will find ways to shut things down to get the rest it needs. A friend of. mine said when she was leading her troop, she fell asleep walking and almost led them into a fence. Some people say that sleep is overrated but it does play a significant role in functionality.
There is a few sleep solutions that can help you perform better.
- Go to sleep and wake up at the same time. Your body has a rhythm and if you wake up and fall asleep at the same time everyday, your body will do it naturally eventually. This means even the weekends. Your body doesn’t know the difference between a work day and a weekend day.
- Avoid caffeine after 2 pm. Caffeine can stay in your system up to 8 hours. That can cause your body to off rhythm and cause you to feel more tired the next day. The vicious cycle continues and you will feel tired all the time. If you need a pick me up, drinksomething light like green tea.
- Avoid electronics. They can stimulate the brain and make it harder to fall asleep. The blue light also tells the brain that it’s still daylight and not time to relax.
- Leave troubles behind. Worries can keep you up at night and that can interfere with you getting a good night sleep. Write down what’s on your mind so you can “forget” it and relax. You can also talk with a friend or a family member about your concerns.
- Eat light and stop eating 2 hours before bed. Eating food late or eating too much before bed can cause sleep issues too. Some people swear they get nightmares from eating right before bed. When you eat late, your body
needs to digest it and that means your body will increase heat. This may cause more brain activity while you are in R.E.M. sleep. Your body needs to cool down before it can relax. Eat light, meaning don’t stuff yourself and stop eating 2 hours before bed. Some say don’t eat after 7 pm but not all people have the same bedtime.
Sleeping is a very important part of our lives wherever we like it or not. You could get very ill or even die from not sleeping. Sleeping helps us be creative and more productive in our everyday lives. People are definitely less grumpy and happier when they get enough sleep! I know I do!